Saturday, August 1, 2009

Some keyboard shortcuts for your Ubuntu ( Gnome) Desktop




Ubuntu uses Gnome as its default desktop environment. Here are some keyboard short cuts that can make your life easy.

Alt + F1

Opens the Applications Menu .

Alt + F2

Displays the Run Application dialog.

Print Screen

Takes a screenshot.

Alt + Print Screen

Takes a screenshot of the window that has focus.

Ctrl + Alt + right arrow

Switches to the workspace to the right of the current workspace.

Ctrl + Alt + left arrow

Switches to the workspace to the left of the current workspace.

Ctrl + Alt + d

Minimizes all windows, and gives focus to the desktop.

F1

Starts the on line help browser, and displays appropriate online Help.


Alt + Tab

Switches between windows. When you use these short cut keys, a list of windows that you can select is displayed. Release the keys to select a window.

Alt + Esc

Switches between windows in reverse order. Release the keys to select a window.

F10

Opens the first menu on the left side of the menu bar.

Alt + spacebar

Opens the Window Menu .




Also try ALT F10 and Cntl+F10 on the desktop.

4 comments:

Wild River Guitar said...

I would like to see a shortcut to take a screenshot with the delay of a few seconds but I don't think its possible

Egidio said...

Hi dear, I need you help, if possible: I need to create a shell script that reproduces the effect of ctrl+alt+right_arrow to switch on another virtual desktop, from the principal one.
So the intent is that I do not press the combination of botton, but I execute the script to have the same effect.

Could you help me please?
Thank you in advance.

JK

Egidio said...

Dear Master,

I need to create a script shell that execte the combination of bottons ctrl+alt+right_arrow, to switch on another virtual desktop.

I do not wont to press that three bottons, I wont to execute the script that has the same effect.

Could you help me?
Thank you in advance.

JK

UbuntuGuru said...

@ Egidio
Can u look at wmctrl from the universe repo.
It can handle several window operations. I didnt find the specific one you asked. Can u RTFM and report back the findings.